Aircraft History

Bristol Bolingbroke

The Bolingbroke was the Canadian version of the RAF Bristol Blenheim Mark IV built under licence by Fairchild Canada in Longueuil, Quebec. A total of 626 Bolingbrokes was produced for the RCAF with the first being delivered to No. 8 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron in Sydney NS on 15 November 1939 for coastal patrol duties. No. 121 Composite Unit, providing transportation and target towing services flew Bolingbrokes from RCAF Station Dartmouth from January 1942 to September 1945 when the Unit was disbanded. No. 119 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron based in Yarmouth NS also flew coastal patrols from its Dartmouth detachment from June to August 1941. The Dartmouth based Bolingbrokes frequently conducted harbour entrance patrols to protect convoys entering or leaving harbour against German U-boat attacks during World War II.

Type: Bomber Reconnaissance and Training aircraft

Wing Span:
17.17 m (56 ft 4 in)

Length:
12.98m (42 ft 7 in)

Height:
3 m (9 ft 10 in)

Max. Speed:
428 kph (266 mph)

Service Ceiling:
8310 m (27,260 ft)

Range:
2350 km (1460 nm)

Max. Weight:
6532 kg (14,400 lbs)

Empty Weight:
4441 kg (9,790 lbs)

Power Plant:
Two 650 kW (905 hp) Bristol Mercury XV radial piston engines

Armament:
One fixed 7.7 mm (0.303 in) machine gun in port wing and two 7.7mm machine guns in power operated dorsal turret, plus 450 kg (1000 lbs) of bombs carried internally and 145 kg (320 lbs) carried externally.