Aircraft History

Douglas C-47 Dakota

Douglas DakotaThe C-47 was derived from the Douglas DC-3 airliner, differing from the civilian version by having more powerful engines, provision for large cabin doors and strengthened rear fuselage and cabin floor. First built in 1940 the ubiquitous Dakota was the most widely used military transport aircraft in World War II. The first of 169 Dakotas entered service with the RCAF in early 1943 when they first appeared at RCAF Station Dartmouth with No. 164 Transport Squadron. When No. 164 Squadron was split into Nos. 426 and 435 Squadrons on 1 August 1946, No. 426 Squadron Dakotas remained in Dartmouth charged with flying supplies to Goose Bay Labrador as well as providing general air transport throughout the Maritimes. No. 103 Search and Rescue Unit also flew Dakotas from RCAF Station Dartmouth from 1947 to 1948.

In the early 1970's the Royal Canadian Navy's VU 32 Squadron flew two Dakotas from HMCS Shearwater, one a general transport aircraft and the other as a VIP transport.

Type : Short / Medium range transport

Length : 19.65 m (64 ft 5 1/2 in)

Span : 28.96 m (95 ft 0 in)

Height : 5.17 m (16 ft 11 1/2 in)

Max Speed : 370 kph (230 mph)

Ceiling : 7070 m (23,200 ft)

Range : 3420 km (2,125 miles)

Max Weight : 11,430 kg (25,200 lb)

Empty Weight : 7650 kg (16,865 lb)

Powerplant : Two 895 kW (1,200 hp) Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 Twin Wasp radial piston engines