Aircraft History

Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor

Beechcraft ExpeditorThe RCAF acquired the first of 394 Expeditors in 1940, which were used for light transport and communications duties. After World War II the Expeditor became the RCAF's basic multi-engine trainer for pilots, navigators and radio officers while still providing communications and VIP transport duties. Later in its career it equipped auxiliary squadrons across the country, often helping in search and rescue emergencies.

The first Expeditors arrived at RCAF Station Dartmouth in 1943 where they were assigned to No. 167 Communications Squadron and formed the nucleus for Eastern Air Command's Communication Flight.

In 1952 surplus RCAF Expeditor MK. 3NM's replaced the Avro Anson V for light transport duties and as the Navy's prime navigation trainer at HMCS Shearwater. Expeditors equipped VT-40 All-Weather Flight when it was formed in 1954 and served with the squadron until April 1960 when the C-45 "Bugsmasher" was retired from VU-32 as the squadron was then known.

The Naval Air Reserve Squadrons were also equipped with Expeditors from 1957 to 1964.

Type: Light transport and training aircraft

Wing Span:
14.51 m (47 ft 7 in)

Length:
10.33 m (33 ft 11 in)

Height:
2.8 m (9 ft 2.5 in)

Max. Speed:
370 kph (230 mph)

Service Ceiling:
6248 m (20, 500 ft)

Range:
2462 km (1530 mi)

Max. Weight:
3969 kg (8750 lb)

Empty Weight:
2585 kg (5770 lb)

Power Plant:
Two 336 kW (450 hp) Pratt & Whitney R-985-B5 radial piston engines