Aircraft History

Grumman Goblin

Prior to WW II, the 1930's vintage Grumman Goblin single seat fighter was built under license from Grumman by Canadian Car and Foundry in Fort William Ontario for export. At the outbreak of WW II the RCAF hurriedly bought 15 of the obsolete Goblins which were used as an interim fighter until they could be replaced with more modern Kittyhawks. No. 118 Squadron flew Goblins at RCAF Station Dartmouth from Dec. 1940 to Dec. 1941 to provide air defence for Halifax's strategic harbour. While at Dartmouth 118 Squadron Goblins were identified by the Squadron letters "RE" painted on the sides of the fuselage.

Type: Two seat biplane fighter

Wing Span: 10.52 m (34 ft)

Length: 7.47 m (24 ft 6 in)

Height: 3.38 m (11 ft 1 in)

Max. Speed: 333 kph (207 mph) (921 miles)

Service Ceiling:   6400 m (21,000 ft)

Range: 1428 km

Max. Weight: 2190 kg (4828 lbs)

Empty Weight: 1474 kg (3250 lbs)

Power Plant: One 522-kW (700 hp) Wright R-1820-78, 9 cylinder radial piston engine

Armament: One forward firing and two pivoted rear 7.62 mm (0.3 in) Browning machine guns