Aircraft History

SikorskyH04S ("Horse")

Sikorsky H04S ('Horse')In June 1952 the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) took delivery of three Sikorsky HO4S-2's at HMCS Shearwater. These helicopters were used primarily as a plane guard during flight operations from the aircraft carriers and were responsible for saving many lives of airmen who crashed at sea in the vicinity of the carrier. The HO4S was also an excellent utility aircraft for the fleet at sea and was also involved in many shore based searches and rescues. In 1955 an additional ten HO4S-3's were taken on RCN strength, the majority of which were assigned to Anti-submarine Squadron HS 50. The HO4S-3's assigned to HS 50 were fitted with a dipping sonar, carried depth charges and homing torpedoes and were flown from both the carrier, HMCS Magnificent, and destroyer escorts. The HO4S-2's also flew as a plane guard for the aircraft carrier and were affectionately known as "Pedro" (the flying burro).

Type: Carrier based Anti-Submarine and utility helicopter

Rotor Diameter:
16.2 m (53 ft)

Length:
12.86 m (42 ft 2 in)

Height:
4.07 m (13 ft 4 in)

Max. Speed:
180 kph (112 mph)

Service Ceiling:
3231 m (10, 600 ft)

Range:
579 km (360 mi)

Max. Weight:
3402 kg (7500 lb)

Empty Weight:
2288 kg (5045 lb)

Power Plant:
One 522 kW (700 hp) Pratt & Whitney R-1300-3 radial piston engine

Armament:
Homing torpedoes; and
Depth charges