Aircraft History

Curtiss Kittyhawk

The Curtiss Kittyhawk, a British adaptation of the American P-40 Warhawk, was a single seat RCAF fighter that replaced the obsolescent Grumman Goblin early in WW II. No. 118 Squadron flew Kittyhawks from RCAF Station Dartmouth from Nov.1941 to Jun.1942 to provide air defence for Halifax's strategic harbour. The highlight of the Sqn's. Dartmouth operations occurred on 16 Jan. 1942 when two Kittyhawks machine gunned a surfaced U-boat ten miles east of Halifax. In mid-1942 when it became evident that the Germans would be unable to mount an air attack on North America 118 Squadron was transferred to Annette Island Alaska to reinforce the United States Army Air Forces.

Type: Single seat fighter

Wing Span: 11.38 m (37 ft 4 in)

Length: 10.16 m (33 ft 4 in)

Height: 3.76 m (12 ft 4in)

Max. Speed: 552 kph (343 mph)

Service Ceiling: 9450 m (31,000 ft)

Range: 1738 km (1080 miles)

Max. Weight: 4014 kg (8850 lbs)

Empty Weight: 2812 kg (6200 lbs)

Power Plant: One Allison 858 kW (1150 hp) V-1710-39 in-line 12 cylinder liquid cooled piston engine

Armament: Six 12.7 mm (0.5 in) machine guns plus fuselage hard point for one 227 kg (500 lb) bomb