Aircraft History

Supermarine Walrus

Supermarine WalrusOn 14 September 1940 a small Royal Navy Air Section, HMS Seaborn, was formed at RCAF Station Dartmouth to service Supermarine Walrus and Fairey Swordfish aircraft belonging to the Royal Navy's Third Battle Squadron and other ships visiting Halifax. The Walrus was designed to be catapulted from large battleships to perform reconnaissance and naval gun fire spotting. After completing a mission the Walrus would land on the water along side the ship and be craned aboard onto its catapult for the next mission. While ashore at HMS Seaborn Walrus aircraft were used for search and rescue as well as maritime reconnaissance patrols. In May 1945 at the end of WW II, the Royal Navy donated the three Walrus' at HMS Seaborn to the Royal Canadian Navy who used the aircraft for liaison work and search and rescue.

Type: Four seat maritime reconnaissance amphibian

Wing Span:
13.97 m (45 ft 10 in)

Length:
11.35 m (37 ft 3 in)

Height:
4.65 m (15 ft 3 in)

Max. Speed:
217 kph (135 mph)

Service Ceiling:
5210 m (17,100 ft)

Range:
966 km (600 mi)

Max. Weight:
3266 kg (7200 lb)

Empty Weight:
2223 kg (4900 lb)

Power Plant:
One 559 kW (750 hp) Bristol Pegasus VI radial piston engine

Armament:
One 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Vickers "K" gun in bow; and
Two 7.7 mm (0.303 in) machine guns amidships; plus
Up to 272 kg (600 lb) of bombs beneath wings; or
Two depth charges