Commissioned as an Arctic Patrol vessel on 8 July 1954. Designed with helicopter deck and hangar, she carried two Bell HTL-6's and one Piasecki HUP-3 to Baffin Island in 1957. Both Bells crashed and were abandoned. She made an historic voyage through the Northwest Passage under command of Captain "Long Robbie" Robertson. She wore pennant 50 until paid off on 22 November 1957; and was subsequently transferred to the Coast Guard in 1958.