10 (BR) Squadron
Battle Honours: "Atlantic 1939 - 1945" earned but never awarded since the squadron was disbanded before the Honours could be presented and never was reactivated.
No. 10 (BR) Squadron was formed by taking over the Wapiti aircraft and personnel of No. 3 (Bomber) Squadron at Halifax on 5 September 1939. Upon declaration of war on 10 September the squadron was mobilized and on 31 October was re-designated Bomber Reconnaissance (BR) to reflect its anti-submarine duties. On 15 June 1940, the squadron moved to the newly constructed airfield at Dartmouth from where the squadron flew Douglas Digby aircraft. In April 1941 the squadron moved to Gander NF but returned to Dartmouth in November 1942 where it was the first RCAF squadron convert to the new Very Long Range Consolidated B-24 Liberators. No. 10 (BR) returned to Gander NF on 8 May 1943 where it played an instrumental role in the defeat of the German U-boats. It established a record with attacks on 22 U-boats, including three sinkings and won the proud but unofficial title, "North Atlantic Squadron". The squadron disbanded at Torbay NF on 15 August 1945.