No. 116 (BR) Squadron
Royal Canadian Air Force
(RCAF Dartmouth Jun 1941 - Aug 1942 / Nov 1942 - Feb. 1943)
Battle Honours: "Atlantic 1939 - 1945" earned but never awarded since the squadron was disbanded before the Honours could be presented and never was reactivated.
No. 116 Squadron (Auxiliary) was originally formed as a Coast Artillery Co-operation unit at Halifax on 1 April 1938. The squadron was redesignated Fighter on 1 May 1939, however, when called to active duty at the outbreak of the Second World War the squadron had no aircraft and was disbanded on 2 November 1939.
No. 116 Squadron re-formed as a Bomber Reconnaissance unit at Dartmouth NS on 28 June 1941. The squadron was formed by a division of No. 5 (BR) Squadron and later provided a nucleus of crews and aircraft for No. 117 (BR) Squadron. No. 116 (BR) Squadron flew Catalina and Canso A aircraft on the East Coast and the Gulf of St. Lawrence on anti-submarine duties. In August 1942 the squadron moved to Botwood NF and subsequently Shelburne NS before returning to Dartmouth. In February 1943 the squadron again departed Dartmouth and moved to Shelburne and subsequently Botwood and Gander NF. In June 1944, No. 116 Squadron moved to Sydney NS where it was disbanded on 20 June 1945.
No. 116 (BR) Squadron conducted three U-boat attacks on eight sightings.