Squadron History

No. 127 (Fighter) Squadron
RCAF Dartmouth Apr 1942 - Aug 1942 / Jul 1943 - Sept.1943

No. 127 Squadron formed as a fighter unit at Dartmouth NS on 1 July 1942 and was equipped with Hurricane aircraft. The squadron flew from Dartmouth, Gander NF and Pennfield Ridge NB on East Coast air defence. In late 1943 No.127 Squadron was selected as one of six home fighter units for duty overseas; it was renumbered No. 443 (Fighter) Squadron at Digby, Lincolnshire, England on 8 February 1944. Flight Lieutenant "Wally" McLeod, No. 127 Squadron's last Commanding Officer and No. 443 Squadron's first Commanding Officer, became the RCAF's second highest scoring pilot during the Second World War with 21 enemy aircraft destroyed before he was killed over Holland on 27 September 1944.