No. 164 (T) Squadron
Royal Canadian Air Force
RCAF Dartmouth Oct 1945 - Aug 1946
No. 164 Squadron formed as a Transport (T) unit at Moncton NB on 23 January 1943 and was equipped with Lockheed Lodestar and Douglas Dakota aircraft. It was the RCAF's premier transport squadron and the cornerstone of the peacetime Air Transport Command. It provided trained crews as the nucleus of other transport units that were formed in Canada (165 Sqn. Sea Island BC, 168 Sqn. Rockcliffe ON) and overseas (435 Sqn. and 436 Sqn. in India). In October 1945, No. 164 Squadron moved to RCAF Station Dartmouth from where it maintained detachments in Edmonton and Winnipeg. Retained on the peacetime establishment, No. 164 (T) Squadron was reorganized on 1 August 1946 into two transport units, the squadron at Dartmouth becoming No. 426 Squadron and the detachment at Edmonton No. 435 Squadron.