Royal Canadian Air Force
RCAF Dartmouth Aug 1946 - Mar 1947
Badge: A thunderbird.
Motto: On wings of fire.
Battle Honours: English Channel and North Sea 1943, Baltic 1943, Fortress Europe 1943-1944. France and Germany 1944-1945 : Biscay Ports 1943-1944, Ruhr 1943-1945, Berlin 1943-1944, German Ports1943-1945, Normandy 1944, Rhine , Biscay 1943 .
No. 426 Squadron formed at Dishforth, Yorkshire, England on 15 October 1942 as the RCAF's 24 th (seventh bomber) squadron formed overseas. The squadron flew Wellington, Lancaster and Halifax aircraft on strategic and tactical bombing operations. After hostilities in Europe, on 25 May 1945 No. 426 Squadron was redesignated Transport and converted to Liberator aircraft to meet a need for long range transport units to support the proposed "Tiger" Force for duty in the Pacific. Between October and December 1945 the squadron airlifted British troops to Egypt and Indian troops from Egypt to India, and British troops back to England. The squadron was disbanded at Tempsford, England on 1 January 1946.
No. 426 Squadron reformed as a Transport unit at Dartmouth NS on 1 August 1946 from the Dartmouth portion of No. 164 (Transport) Squadron. Equipped with C-47 Dakotas, the squadron's main mission was to resupply Goose Bay Labrador from Dartmouth. The squadron moved to Dorval (Montreal), Quebec in March 1947 and was re-equipped with four-engine North Star aircraft for long-range transport duty. From July 1950 to June 1954 No. 426 Squadron was employed on the Korean airlift and made 600 round trips across the North Pacific between Vancouver and Tokyo, logging 34,000 flying hours and carrying 13,000 personnel and seven million pounds of freight and mail without mishap. In 1956 it airlifted United Nations Emergency Force personnel and equipment to the Middle East and, in 1960-62, to the Belgian Congo. The squadron moved to Trenton ON in September 1959, and in January 1962 to St. Hubert (Montreal) Quebec where it was disbanded on 1 September 1962.
No. 426 (Transport) Squadron was again reformed in Trenton ON shortly afterward to become the Transport Operational Training Squadron responsible for training all transport aircraft air and ground crews; a role in which it continues today.