Squadron History

431 Squadron
Royal Canadian Air Force
RCAF Dartmouth Jun 1945 - Sep 1945

Battle Honours: English Channel and North Sea 1943-1944, Baltic 1943-1944, Fortress Europe 1943-1944, France and Germany 1944-1945: Biscay Ports 1943- 1944, Ruhr 1943-1945, Berlin 1943-1944, German Ports 1943-1945, Normandy 1944, Rhine, Biscay 1943-1944 .

Badge: An Iroquois Indian's head.

Motto: The hatiten ronteriios (Warriors of the air).

No. 431 Squadron formed at Burn, Yorkshire, England on 11 November 1942 as the RCAF's 28 th (11 th Bomber) squadron formed overseas. The squadron flew Wellington, Halifax and Canadian-built Lancaster aircraft on strategic and tactical bombing operations. After hostilities in Europe the squadron was selected as part of the "Tiger Force" for duty in the Pacific, and returned to Canada; on 12 June1945 the squadron became part of 662 Wing at RCAF Station Dartmouth NS for reorganization and training. The sudden end of the war with Japan resulted in No. 431 Squadron being disbanded at Dartmouth on 5 September 1945.

Unlike many other RCAF 400 series squadrons, No. 431 Squadron was never reactivated after the Second World War as part of the RCAF's expansion during the Cold War.

In 1971 the "Snowbirds" Formation Flying Team was formed at Canadian Forces Base Moose Jaw Saskatchewan, flying Canadair Tutor aircraft. However, the "Snowbirds" were not recognized as an integral unit of the Canadian Armed Forces until 1 April 1978 when they became No. 431 Air Demonstration Squadron based at 15 Wing Moose Jaw. Today No. 431 Squadron "Snowbirds" is the premier attraction at air displays all over North America.