No.5 (BR) Squadron
RCAF Dartmouth Apr 1934 - Nov 1942
Royal Canadian Air Force
Badge: A gannet in flight
Motto: Volando vincimus (By flying we conquer)
Battle Honours: "Atlantic 1939 - 1945" earned but never awarded since the squadron was disbanded before the Honours could be presented and never was reactivated.
Formed as a Flying Boat squadron at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia on 16 April 1939 by the amalgamation of the five RCAF Detachments then in the Maritimes, the squadron flew preventative (anti-smuggling and illegal immigration) patrols for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. When the RCMP formed its own air division at the end of 1936, the squadron concentrated on military training and duties. In 1937 it was re-designated Coastal Reconnaissance, and later the same year General Reconnaissance. Mobilized on 10 September 1939, and re-designated Bomber Reconnaissance (BR) on 31 October, the squadron flew Stranraer and Canso flying boats on East Coast anti-submarine duty. No. 5 (BR) Squadron operated from Gander and Torbay NF from November 1942 to August 1944 when it moved to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. In May 1945 the squadron moved to Gaspe ¢ , Quebec where it was disbanded on 15 June 1945. The squadron sank one U-boat and delivered 17 attacks on 25 U-boat sightings. No. 5 (BR) delivered Eastern Air Command's last attack on a submarine on 3 May 1945.