Squadron History


880 Squadron
Royal Canadian Navy Anti-Submarine Squadron (1951-52)
Heavier-than-air Search Air Squadron [VS 880] (1952-75)
Canadian Forces Maritime Reconnaisance Squadron [880 MR] (1975-??)

Formed as the redesignation of 825 Squadron in May 1951, it was renamed VS 880 under the US system of numbering in November 1952. When its role significantly changed, it was redesignated 880 MR in March 1975 and continued service until the closure of CFB Summerside in 1990. As far as is known, it still exists on the books as a "zero-strength" squadron and was never officially disbanded.

Role: Served as one of the RCN's Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) squadrons flying from the carriers. When the requirement for ASW was minimized in the early 1970's, the squadron switched to a mission of Maritime Reconaissance (in otherwords, maintaining Canadian Sovereignty) in 1975 and continued in that role with the CF until all flying operations were halted in 1990. MR-related duties included sovereignty patrols, fisheries patrols, pollution control and fleet support.

Aircraft Flown: Fairey Firefly, Grumman Avenger, Grumman Tracker

Home Base: Shearwater, NS (1951-81) & Summerside, PEI (1981-90)

Ships Served On: HMCS Magnificent, HMCS Bonaventure

Colours: Black & Gold

Motto: Repérer Et Détruire (To Seek And To Destroy)